turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

prballin

What are advantage and disadvantage of including main home sale loss in 2020 return? I have 2021 gain in second home sale and can I use the 2020 loss in some way?

I entered the data and got the info personal loss does not affect my return, but has a box if I want to include the sale in my return or not. Why should I check this box? If do, can I use this loss towards my second home sale gain in 2021?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
M-MTax
Level 10

What are advantage and disadvantage of including main home sale loss in 2020 return? I have 2021 gain in second home sale and can I use the 2020 loss in some way?

If you want to report it that's fine but you can't deduct a loss on personal use property even if you have gain on other personal use property.

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

As @M-MTax stated, "if you want to report it that's fine but you can't deduct a loss on personal use property even if you have gain on other personal use property".

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies