Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1713alan

Can I deduct expenses for evacuating my family due to hurricane? Governor issued a mandatory evacuation and we spend 3 nights in hotel out of state, meals, mileage ect.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

Can I deduct expenses for evacuating my family due to hurricane? Governor issued a mandatory evacuation and we spend 3 nights in hotel out of state, meals, mileage ect.

Sorry, but they aren't deductible.  A casualty loss deduction is limited to property losses, specifically the decline in value of the property due to the casualty. Ancillary costs are not deductible. Non-deductible ancillary costs would include items such as -

• evacuation and temporary lodging,
  • generators,
  • improvements to prevent future casualties
  • clean up costs except to measure the decline in value,
  • rental cars after an auto accident, etc.

What about airfare being deductible due to Hurricane Irma and governor calling state of emergency?
jr408j

To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to allow individuals either a credit against income tax or a deduction for expenses paid or incurred by reason of a voluntary or mandatory evacuation. ... This Act may be cited as the “Evacuees Tax Relief Act of 2011”.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.congress.gov/bill/112th-congress/house-bill/2080/text">https://www.congress.gov/bill/112...>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies