Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do i need to claim funds raised donation from a fund raiser to help with medical expenses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do i need to claim funds raised donation from a fund raiser to help with medical expenses?

No, if you were the recipient, you would not have to report or pay tax on the income- it would be considered a gift which is not taxable to the recipient.  Just be sure to keep the records of how much you received in case the IRS did ask..

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Were you the recipient of the funds or did you host the fundraiser?

I was the recipient, but hosted the fundraiser on youcaring.com

Great! so would I need to make sure to NOT deduct the medical expenses associated with the fundraiser? since the fundraiser paid for the expenses?

No, if you were the recipient, you would not have to report or pay tax on the income- it would be considered a gift which is not taxable to the recipient.  Just be sure to keep the records of how much you received in case the IRS did ask..

Great! so would I need to make sure to NOT deduct the medical expenses associated with the fundraiser? since the fundraiser paid for the expenses?

Correct- I had added to keep track of the specific medical expenses even though it is not required, but it is a good idea to show that you did dedicate the money to specific medical expenses

Thank you so much!!!

Technically, as a gift, if it is given with the requirement that you MUST (in which case written documentation would be a good idea) use it for medical expenses, you may be able to argue that it would be deductible (based on legal case law) but it is not 100% guaranteed and honestly, it would not be worth the hassle of a fight especially because it would jeopardize the future ability of these types of fundraisers. (just my opinion, you need to concentrate on getting well)

Thank you for your advice! you've been really helpful!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies