Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We leased a new car this year- I have the registration form in front of me- do I enter the annual fee in my deductions or the grand total I paid to get it plated and everything?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

We leased a new car this year- I have the registration form in front of me- do I enter the annual fee in my deductions or the grand total I paid to get it plated and everything?

Only a portion of your registration is deductible, not the grand total to get the car plated.

The portion of your registration that is deductible is any annual fee (not one time) that is based on the vehicle's value.

Note also that the fee is only deductible if you itemize deductions.  If you are using the standard deduction, entering the registration fee will not lower your taxes.

Refer to this TurboTax article for more details about deducting your car registration.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Only a portion of your registration is deductible, not the grand total to get the car plated.

The portion of your registration that is deductible is any annual fee (not one time) that is based on the vehicle's value.

Note also that the fee is only deductible if you itemize deductions.  If you are using the standard deduction, entering the registration fee will not lower your taxes.

Refer to this TurboTax article for more details about deducting your car registration.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies