turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We just sold some land in Tennessee that was listed at $220K and sold for $190K. Is it subject to Capital Gains tax? I live in my main home in California.

The land was half owned by my aunt and the other half was owned by me and my 6 siblings.  A tax accountant told my sisters that we don’t pay capital gains tax because it was sold at a loss.  Is t
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AlanT222
Expert Alumni

We just sold some land in Tennessee that was listed at $220K and sold for $190K. Is it subject to Capital Gains tax? I live in my main home in California.

Just because it was listed for $220K and sold for $190k does not mean it was sold for a loss.  In order to determine if you must pay capital gains tax, you must first determine your cost basis.  Meaning how much you paid for the land when it was purchased.  Or if it was inherited, the value of the land when you inherited it.  If the basis was lower than 190K you would pay capital gains tax.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AlanT222
Expert Alumni

Just because it was listed for $220K and sold for $190k does not mean it was sold for a loss.  In order to determine if you must pay capital gains tax, you must first determine your cost basis.  Meaning how much you paid for the land when it was purchased.  Or if it was inherited, the value of the land when you inherited it.  If the basis was lower than 190K you would pay capital gains tax.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

How was the property used?

A capital loss on personal use property (e.g. 2nd home or vacation property) is not deductible. A loss on investment property is deductible, so you would want to report it.  Vacant land is usually investment property. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies