turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We closed our house on 12/31/2019. How do I get the information to deduct what we paid that day on our taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

We closed our house on 12/31/2019. How do I get the information to deduct what we paid that day on our taxes?

First I highly doubt you paid anything that was deductible on an income tax return that closed on the last day of the year ... however look at the closing statement to see if you paid any POINTS  or  prepaid interest. 

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

If you use Itemized Deductions instead of the Standard Deduction, your deductions for the home you purchased on 12/31/2019 would be mortgage interest, points, and real estate taxes.

Your settlement or closing statement for the home would list the interest and points/loan origination fees you paid at closing.  These amounts likely would have been reported to you on a Form 1098 from your mortgage company, if paid in 2019.

Your settlement or closing statement would also have any real estate taxes you paid when you purchased your home, other than those paid in escrow to the mortgage company. The real estate taxes paid in escrow are deductible when paid by the mortgage company.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

So far, everyone in this thread is assuming you closed on the PURCHASE of a house. So if you closed on the SALE of a house you owned prior to the sale, *make* *that* *clear*, because it changes everything.

Manage cookies