Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cheerful1

Water damage. I upgraded floor and paid add'l $ than what the ins. co. paid. Would the total cost of the new floor basis for depreciation?

I have a rental and have a question. New floors were replaced due to water damage. I upgraded floor and paid additional money than what the insurance company paid. 
For example I paid $5000 more for more flooring.  Insurance paid $20000
Is floor basis for depreciation now $25000 or $5000
If $25000 is insurance portion of $20000 income that is reported somewhere?

1) Would the cost of the new floor basis be the total paid on the floor or just my portion? 

2) If total do I put insurance company payment as income somewhere?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Water damage. I upgraded floor and paid add'l $ than what the ins. co. paid. Would the total cost of the new floor basis for depreciation?

You basis in the new Floor, according to your example would be $5,000.  The $20,000 that insurance paid does not need to be reported, unless the insurance company issued you a Form 1099-MISC.  In this case, I would report it as income and add an expense of $20,000 to offset it - net Zero.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

You basis in the new Floor, according to your example would be $5,000.  The $20,000 that insurance paid does not need to be reported, unless the insurance company issued you a Form 1099-MISC.  In this case, I would report it as income and add an expense of $20,000 to offset it - net Zero.

Cheerful1

DDollar
Expert Alumni

Your're welcome. Thanks for using TurboTax!!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies