turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jp-burke

I sold vacant land that I owned for just over 1 year, where do I enter it on turbotax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

I sold vacant land that I owned for just over 1 year, where do I enter it on turbotax?

Sale of land gets reported in TurboTax as a sale of an investment.

Please follow the following steps to record the sale in TurboTax:

• Within your return, select Federal Taxes tab
  • Select Wages & Income tab
  • On "Your income" page, click Start button for Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other
  • On "Did you sell any investments in 2018?", click on Yes button
  • On next page, answer whether or not you received a 1099-B or a brokerage statement for the sale
  • On next page, "Choose the type of investment you sold", select radio button for Land and click on Continue button
  • Enter the details of your land sale on the next page, "Enter Land Sale Information" and click on Continue button
  • On next page, select radio button for the way in which you acquired the land and click on Continue button
  • On next page, "Any Business or Rental Use?", indicate how you used the land and click on Continue button
  • On next page, "Enter Cost Information", enter Date Acquired and Original Cost and click on Continue button
  • TurboTax will then calculate your gain on the investment in land, indicate whether it's short- or long-term, and indicate your Proceeds and Cost Basis
  • You can proceed further and add any additional similar investment sales in like fashion

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Was it ever rented out, say as a parking lot or for vehicle storage?
jp-burke

No. Thank you, someone else sent me detailed info on where to enter it.
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Sale of land gets reported in TurboTax as a sale of an investment.

Please follow the following steps to record the sale in TurboTax:

• Within your return, select Federal Taxes tab
  • Select Wages & Income tab
  • On "Your income" page, click Start button for Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other
  • On "Did you sell any investments in 2018?", click on Yes button
  • On next page, answer whether or not you received a 1099-B or a brokerage statement for the sale
  • On next page, "Choose the type of investment you sold", select radio button for Land and click on Continue button
  • Enter the details of your land sale on the next page, "Enter Land Sale Information" and click on Continue button
  • On next page, select radio button for the way in which you acquired the land and click on Continue button
  • On next page, "Any Business or Rental Use?", indicate how you used the land and click on Continue button
  • On next page, "Enter Cost Information", enter Date Acquired and Original Cost and click on Continue button
  • TurboTax will then calculate your gain on the investment in land, indicate whether it's short- or long-term, and indicate your Proceeds and Cost Basis
  • You can proceed further and add any additional similar investment sales in like fashion

Manage cookies