joshhol

Waiting for SSN for baby born 2019. If I file after receiving the economic stimulus payment, can that payment be corrected after?

Or, should I file now without the baby's SSN in hopes of getting her counted for the payment, and then amend the tax return later and add her SSN?

Thanks

KarenM90

Based on information we have right now, If you have not filed your 2019 tax return by now, IRS will use your 2018 tax return information to determine the amount of Stimulus payment you will receive. 

A reconciliation of this will be made on your 2020 tax return, filed next spring.  So the addition amount of Stimulus will be included in that filing to reduce or tax liability and/or generate a refund on that tax return.

I don't recommend filing an incomplete return and amending later.  

joshhol

Thanks for the quick answer!  Good to know it can be adjusted next year.  

MaryK1101

Yes as long as you filed in 2018 I would wait until you get that social security number!

@joshhol

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable

my opinion is that the IRS will ignore amended returns filed after the payment has been made.