turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is it true that if you sell a property for a loss that the loss can be deducted off your taxes for a period of 5 years?

From what I understand, if I sell my lot that I paid 33,000 for say 3,000 I would be able to take a capital loss of 30,000 prorated over a five year period

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Is it true that if you sell a property for a loss that the loss can be deducted off your taxes for a period of 5 years?

Was the lot every improved?

Not exactly.  When you have a capital loss, you deduct it against any other capital gains that year, plus you can deduct $3000 more.  So if this is your only investment and you never have other capital gains to be taxed, it will take you 10 years to deduct the loss at $3000 per year. 

The question is, does he have 10 years? What is the limit on the number of years he can write it off against capital gains?

Until the death of the taxpayer, literally; there is no limit on the number of years a taxpayer can offset capital gains with capital losses (plus $3000 as mentioned in the answer by Opus 17).
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies