turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is foreign source income when claiming tax credit on vanguard fund? Is it "QDI eligible foreign income"?

Vanguard gives me: foreign tax, foreign income, QDI eligible foreign income. When claiming the foreign income tax credit TT asks for foreign-source income. What is that? The QDI number? Or the foreign income number? Or something else?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What is foreign source income when claiming tax credit on vanguard fund? Is it "QDI eligible foreign income"?

Foreign source income is the sum of unqualified dividends, qualified dividends and capital gains. TT wil ask for the amount of QDI (qualified dividends) only if the following holds:

- You have foreign qualifying dividends or long-term capital gains totaling more that $20,000, OR
- Your total income exceeds the following amount for your filing status:
  - Married Filing Joint or Qualifying Widow(er): $223,050
  - Single: $183,250
  - Head of Household: $203,150
  - Married Filing Separate: $111,525

View solution in original post

22 Replies

Foreign source income is the sum of unqualified dividends, qualified dividends and capital gains. TT wil ask for the amount of QDI (qualified dividends) only if the following holds:

- You have foreign qualifying dividends or long-term capital gains totaling more that $20,000, OR
- Your total income exceeds the following amount for your filing status:
  - Married Filing Joint or Qualifying Widow(er): $223,050
  - Single: $183,250
  - Head of Household: $203,150
  - Married Filing Separate: $111,525

Thanks for the reply, TT isn't actually asking for QDI. It has my foreign tax, which is small (<$100) and after I verify that it asks for "foreign source income", but I'm not sure what that is supposed to be. Since the amount is small I ended up just switching to taking a deduction rather than a credit, and avoiding this question.
rstrst1

Why are people constantly giving a first answer, but not the proper answer for this question, and then never returning to follow up? Really infuriating.

Question was not answered.  When TT asked "What portion of dividends and distributions were from a foreign country?"  What do I put down, Foreign income or QDI eligible income?

TT wants the total of all foreign dividends (both qualified and unqualified) and all foreign capital gains. I don't know what  Vanguard includes or excludes by the phrase "foreign income";  If you go to their website, they should have an exact definition of what that and the other phrases mean.

i'm in the same situation, Vanguard has 1 page that shows the foreign tax (from box6), foreign income, and QDI eligible foreign income. So in TT, when going thru the foreign tax credit screen for a particular mutual fund, it is asking to enter the amount - Foreign-Source Income.  So just like the original question and the one posted by gradysullivan, i think its just either the number under foreign income or QDI eligible foreign income, both of which are lower than what's in box1(total ordinary div)or box1b (qualified dividends) but i'm not sure which one. anyone knows?

I want to know the same thing!!!  Dragonglazz thanks for clarifying..

I'd like to know the same thing too.  From my brokerage statement, a foreign source total and a foreign source qualified income are quoted.  Those values do _not_ include any capital gain, long or short, in the amount.  From all that I am reading here, I'm confused.  It seems some responses say the total should include capital gains.  I'm beginning to think that the what should be reported is the foreign source total dividends, both qualified and non-qualified and that if the income exceeds $20K, further TT interview questions are triggered requesting the amount of qualified versus non-qualified.  I am hoping that someone with TT can clarify what specifically the foreign source total is to include and which, total or qualified, is supposed to be reported in the initial part of the interview!

I just called TT.  I found that in the Foreign Source Income interview, the income to be reported is the total of the qualified + non-qualified dividends....no long or short capital gains.  A caveat though -- my brokerage statements provide the total and qualified amount, i.e., they do not require me to sum up the information myself.  I state this caveat because I have another brokerage account which also provides the percentage of the income that is allocated to foreign sources, and in one of them, I cannot figure out how they came to their particular value.  So the conclusion is trust your brokerage statement's foreign income section and report the total.
joebyrne

Thanks, @biisager. I'm glad someone answered the question!
mlpaine

I have the same question but am still not clear on the answer.  It seems simple, Qualified, non Qualified or 0...or sum total.  I imagine that it might mean Qualified but am not sure.  TT gets pretty heavy into the box 6 on the 1099 but I have no box 6 - their answer to that was that it is an error and 0 is the correct fill-in if you have a box 6.  I have a simple 1099 not a brokerage statement.  But what do I do?

mlpaine#  the 20181099-DIV changed in 2018 box 6 is now box 7
Shiggy

I just read this whole post.  Isn't it frustrating that something so common (owning mutual funds that hold foreign investments) should be so difficult to report.  Vanguard is giving less than adequate information and Turbo Tax Premier is totally confusing.  I am a customer of both and they are doing a less than adequate job.  I did manage to finally get past the errors in my return, but I am not sure I reported this correctly.  I was wondering if anyone would be brave enough to post a mock up of a 1116 form to show how this should look (you need to over $300 single or $600 married to be required to fill one out)?

kgales

I am still confused about what to enter for foreign dividends received from a Vanguard Statement is it the "Foreign Income" or the QDI eligible foreign income"??  Please help, this is all I need to complete my tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies