turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unmarried couple bought a home together in 2016, when they file their taxes and both liable for the home how are they to file this?

I selected yes that I did purchase a new home and it is asking for loan information, what am I to do with this portion of turbo tax if i am not the one who pays this? We do not have a joint account however both of our names is on the mortgage and he is listed first. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

Unmarried couple bought a home together in 2016, when they file their taxes and both liable for the home how are they to file this?

It depends but if you did not make any cash payments related to the home mortgage, then you will not be allowed to claim any mortgage interest deduction and can skip this section in TurboTax. This also applies to the property tax deduction.

You are only allowed to claim a mortgage interest and property tax deduction if your name is on the title or deed and you actually paid this interest and property taxes during the year. Even though your name is also on the Form 1098, if you did not pay any of the mortgage payments (or if the funds used to paid the mortgage were not through a joint account) then only the person who actually made the payments and is on the deed will be allowed to claim these deductions.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DS30

It depends but if you did not make any cash payments related to the home mortgage, then you will not be allowed to claim any mortgage interest deduction and can skip this section in TurboTax. This also applies to the property tax deduction.

You are only allowed to claim a mortgage interest and property tax deduction if your name is on the title or deed and you actually paid this interest and property taxes during the year. Even though your name is also on the Form 1098, if you did not pay any of the mortgage payments (or if the funds used to paid the mortgage were not through a joint account) then only the person who actually made the payments and is on the deed will be allowed to claim these deductions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies