turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

peghergy

I did a huge remodel of my home the last year. What can be claimed? We gutted 2 bathrooms and rebuilt them. Also new floors throughout. What can I claim?

New flooring throughout the house, new toilets, vanities, plumbing fixtures, shower, bath tub, lighting fixtures, new Windows throughout the house. I don't understand the message on the tax paid. 8.25%
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
SeanE1

I did a huge remodel of my home the last year. What can be claimed? We gutted 2 bathrooms and rebuilt them. Also new floors throughout. What can I claim?

Unless the home that was remodeled was a real estate property, none of the expenses would be deductible.  The costs that were incurred would instead increase the basis of the home.  An increase in basis actually lowers the amount of capital gain that is realized on the home when the home is eventually sold.  You would compare the sales proceeds of the eventual sale with the adjusted basis to determine the gain and possible capital gains tax paid on the sale of the home.

If you took out a home equity loan to finance the remodel, the interest on the loan may be tax deductible.  For more information on a home equity loan and its deductibility, see this Link:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Home-Ownership/Are-Home-Interest-Loans-Deductible-Fro...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies