turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NRMalone

I sold a home in 2017 - but only used $109,209 of the $250,000 capital gain benefit. I sold another home in 2018 - can I use the remainder of the capital gain benefit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I sold a home in 2017 - but only used $109,209 of the $250,000 capital gain benefit. I sold another home in 2018 - can I use the remainder of the capital gain benefit?

What the status of each home you sold?  Primary in 2017 and second home in 2018?  Primary home in 2017 and primary home in 2018?  Was either home used as a rental or in a business when it was sold?
Ashby

Unfortunately, you do not meet the look-back requirement as stated below from IRS Publication 523. You can only take the exclusion once in a 2-year period.

Determine whether you meet the look-back requirement. 

If you didn't sell another home during the 2-year period before the date of sale (or, if you did sell another home during this period, but didn't take an exclusion of the gain earned from it), you meet the look-back requirement. You may take the exclusion only once during a 2-year period.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p523#en_US_2018_publink10008998

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies