Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I just read about the new PATH act/law. If my tax credit includes the earned income credit but not, the child tax credit, will i still have to wait until 02/15?

So if my tax credit includes the earned income credit but not, the child tax credit, will I still have to wait until 02/15?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
Melaine

I just read about the new PATH act/law. If my tax credit includes the earned income credit but not, the child tax credit, will i still have to wait until 02/15?

Unfortunately, yes.  The PATH act/law will delay refunds if a taxpayer will receive the Earned Income Credit or the Child Tax Credit.

I'm EXTREMELY disappointed in TurboTax. If you had disclosed that BEFORE I filed, I wouldn't have taken it. I WANT MY RETURN BACK SO I CAN GO TO HEWLETT JACKSON, where they will ensure I get some money NOW.
HOW COULD YOU NOT DISCLOSE THAT INFO????

Are you kidding me?  Obviously the tax law is from the IRS. My complaint is that YOU SHOULD HAVE DISCLOSED THAT I WOULD HAVE TO WAIT AN ADDITIONAL 6 WEEKS!!  CANCEL MY RETURN, I WANT TO GO TO HEWLETT JACKSON.
I'LL NEVER USE TURBO TAX AGAIN.

Are you kidding? Once you e-File you can't cancel it. IRS is processing returns now and on 2/15 your refund will be released. If it's being mailed to you, you will have to wait for the Postman.

The PATH act has been public knowledge for a long time.  It was all over the news. The PATH act is a restriction on the *IRS* and has nothing whatsoever to do with TurboTax or filing your tax and it makes no difference who you file with since it has *nothing* to do with filing your taxes.

Beginning in 2017, if you claim the EITC or ACTC on your tax return, the IRS must hold your refund until Feb. 15. This new law requires the IRS to hold the entire refund

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/individuals/refund-timing">https://www.irs.gov/individuals/refund-timing</a>
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Mind your own business.  I'm talking to TurboTax. I expect an answer TurboTax.

This is  user-to-user forum and you got an answer.    Everyone has the same right to answer here.  If you want a direct answer from TurboTax, then  you can call customer support, but the PATH act is Federal law and has noting to do with TurboTax.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Mind your own business.  My issue isn't with the PATH act. My issue (if you can read) is that I wasn't notified that my refund would be held an extra 6 weeks before filing.  I would have filed elsewhere or not even filed with the credit had I known. I want my filing canceled, TurboTax. I want it canceled now.

Contact Customer Service   <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3401489">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3401489</a>
BennyG

Hi lunchinjenna,

I understand the experience and thank you for your feedback. The delay comes from the IRS, as they are trying to protect users from fraudulent returns. They have this rule across all tax software, not just TurboTax.

The IRS posted information about taxpayers applying for those credits and having a delay in their refunds before the start of this tax season. Many people don't visit the IRS website before they begin filing so it's understandable that they may find out when E-filing their returns. TurboTax does mention the Path Act in this FAQ: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3397970

In regards to what you can do at the moment to get a loan against your return, the best thing is waiting to see if the return is rejected. If the E-file is rejected, you can submit your return through a different entity such as J.H..

The IRS still expects to issue most refunds in less than 21 days, though they will hold refunds for EITC and ACTC-related tax returns filed early in 2017 until February 15. If your return is accepted by the IRS, you can check the status of it here: https://www.irs.gov/refunds/

I know this may not change the status of what happened, but I hope the information helps.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies