Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

12wrigja

My employer's HSA contributions are being taxed because someone is filing me as a dependent.

This tax filing will be the first I've filed upon entering the workforce after graduating in May of 2016. My family is filing and including me as a dependent because I lived with them up till September 2016. My new employers contributions to my HSA are being taxed because of this.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My employer's HSA contributions are being taxed because someone is filing me as a dependent.

Unfortunately, if someone else has included you as a dependent, then you are ineligible for HSA contribution. There is only one option for you to minimize the taxes due. You must contact your HSA bank and inform them that you are ineligible and are requesting an excess contribution withdrawal of all 2016 contributions. This will allow you to avoid a 6% penalty tax. The total contribution amount that will be returned to you will however be added to your taxable income.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

True.
12wrigja

I guess my actual question was if there was any way to avoid this while still being filed as someone else's dependent - I was told these contributions would be tax-free.

Unfortunately, if someone else has included you as a dependent, then you are ineligible for HSA contribution. There is only one option for you to minimize the taxes due. You must contact your HSA bank and inform them that you are ineligible and are requesting an excess contribution withdrawal of all 2016 contributions. This will allow you to avoid a 6% penalty tax. The total contribution amount that will be returned to you will however be added to your taxable income.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies