turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unemployment Tax Relief

My wife received $16525 in unemployment payments in Michigan, we are residents of California. She is a flight attendant and work in Michigan. When the update posted to TT it adjusted my federal return correctly. However on my California return it subtracted the $16525 correctly as it was earned in Michigan. However, it also added $10200 as "other income" on my California return. Shouldn't it have added the difference?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Unemployment Tax Relief

thall92562,

The "other income" is just there to erase the -10,200 figure that appears on the federal form as an adjustment to income and is copied into the 540-CA form.  I wondered about that, too, recently until I took a closer look.  CA doesn't tax unemployment income and so subtracts the 1099-G amount, not the net taxable amount, and so needs to "erase" the adjustment.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Unemployment Tax Relief

thall92562,

The "other income" is just there to erase the -10,200 figure that appears on the federal form as an adjustment to income and is copied into the 540-CA form.  I wondered about that, too, recently until I took a closer look.  CA doesn't tax unemployment income and so subtracts the 1099-G amount, not the net taxable amount, and so needs to "erase" the adjustment.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies