turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sreiber
Returning Member

Anyone else discover Turbo Tax entered the wrong mortgage interest deduction even though you entered your mortgage interest from Form 1098 correctly?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Anyone else discover Turbo Tax entered the wrong mortgage interest deduction even though you entered your mortgage interest from Form 1098 correctly?

Under the new tax law, there are limits to mortgage interest deductions.
sreiber
Returning Member

None applicable to me.

Mortgage interest is only deductible on the part of the mortgage that was used to buy, build or substantially improve your home, so when you finished answering the questions in TurboTax and entered the amount that was used to buy, build or substantially improve your home, it used that amount. You can no longer deduct any amounts used to pay credit card debts, buy a car, etc.

"No matter when the indebtedness was incurred, you can no longer deduct the interest from a loan secured by your home to the extent the loan proceeds weren't used to buy, build, or substantially improve your home."

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p936

sreiber
Returning Member

100% of my interest was to purchase my home and it is not subject to any applicable caps.  Turbo Tax messed up.  When I went to amend I changed nothing and ended up with a significant additional refund.  Think it may have been fixed in an early March update.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies