turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My son is an actor and I'm not if I list his expenses as a "business" or do I list them under "deductions for job related expenses"

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

My son is an actor and I'm not if I list his expenses as a "business" or do I list them under "deductions for job related expenses"

Under Business.  Job expenses is for W2 income.  Or did he get a W2?

He got 1 W2 from CBS for the show "Bull" that he did but most of the expenses he incurs is just his everyday acting career like he does theatre and rents spaces for shows, and puts out money for props and his headshots and things like that. So would I then list all his expenses as if he is self employed?

Yes as self employed.  Did he get 1099Misc for the other ones?

No he doesn't have that.

Did he get paid cash for the other income?  Did he have income from other jobs?

No he didn't have any other income from any other jobs

Ummm, then I guess you have to enter the expenses against the W2 income.  

BUT WAIT,  you do not enter his info on your return.  He need to file his own return for all this.  Are you asking about your return or on his return?  You said "My son is an actor and I'm not...."  Does that mean you are on YOUR return?

No, I am preparing his return for him.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies