turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I fill out the 8889-S?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LeeM

TurboTax will automatically fill out your spouse's Form 8889 if they and/or their employer contributed to an HSA (usually indicated by code W in box 12 of the W-2), if they used funds in your HSA (reported on Form 1099-SA), or if they inherited an HSA.

Form 8889: Health Savings Account (HSA) is used to report HSA contributions, distributions, and withdrawals.

Tip: On jointly-filed returns, Form 8889 will have a -T or -S suffix, for example Form 8889-T or 8889-S. This simply denotes who the 8889 belongs to (T for taxpayer, S for spouse). Make sure you select the right person the form belongs to when enter your W-2s and Form 1099s.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
LeeM

TurboTax will automatically fill out your spouse's Form 8889 if they and/or their employer contributed to an HSA (usually indicated by code W in box 12 of the W-2), if they used funds in your HSA (reported on Form 1099-SA), or if they inherited an HSA.

Form 8889: Health Savings Account (HSA) is used to report HSA contributions, distributions, and withdrawals.

Tip: On jointly-filed returns, Form 8889 will have a -T or -S suffix, for example Form 8889-T or 8889-S. This simply denotes who the 8889 belongs to (T for taxpayer, S for spouse). Make sure you select the right person the form belongs to when enter your W-2s and Form 1099s.

How do i go in and add a 8889 form to my akready file taxes for 2016 and 2017 or will i have to get the forms and do it my self

tntmathews
Returning Member

Hi, I am confused why I have a 8889-S. Looking back, from 2016 and prior, turbotax only filled in 8889-T for myself, which made sense because I'm the primary person on the insurance and my employer makes contributions. But, for some reason, in 2017 and later, turbotax added 8889-S even though my spouse doesn't make contributions to the HSA neither does her employer. Since these are both filed with IRS as part of my 1040, do I need to get the -S out of my return before filing again this year? Not sure what triggered this but turbotax keeps populating it for me. Maybe I'm not answering the question about HSA or health insurance correctly and it thinks we BOTH have HSA's or employer provided High Deductible insurance? Thanks for your help.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

It seems to me somehow when you answered the questions, there was indication your spouse needed to file the Form 8889.  If this form does not apply to her, you can simply remove it from the program.  Here are the steps:

1.  Sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off

2.  Select Tax Tools, click on the drop down arrow

3.  Select Tools

4.  Under Other helpful links, choose Delete a form

5.  Select Delete next to Form 8889-s and Continue with My Return

If you are the beneficiary of a health savings account (HSA), the IRS requires you to prepare Form 8889 with your tax return before you can deduct your contributions to the account. The purpose of the form is to report your deductible contributions, calculate the deduction, report the distributions you take to pay medical expenses and to calculate the tax you must pay on withdrawals you make for non-medical related purposes.  To learn more, click here: Form 8889

@tntmathews

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies