turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sareedco

Turbotax is saying my wife had a break in HDHP health plan coverage during 2021. She did not. Where does Turbotax get this erroneous information and how do I fix it?

She was on my HDHP plan every month of 2021.  The HSA was in my name, not hers.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
RaifH
Expert Alumni

Turbotax is saying my wife had a break in HDHP health plan coverage during 2021. She did not. Where does Turbotax get this erroneous information and how do I fix it?

HSAs can only be owned by an individual. That individual may have a high deductible health plan that covers their entire family and may use their HSA to pay for medical expenses incurred by members of their family, but the HSA belongs to only the individual. 

On TurboTax, if your spouse are covered by your HDHP and does not have an HSA in her name, you do not need to select the box under her name for an HSA account. If your spouse did have her own HSA, you would select that she was covered by your HDHP coverage if you had family coverage for every month that you had it. If you had self-only coverage, then your spouse would not be eligible to contribute to her HSA. 

If you select that she had an HSA but did not select that she was covered by your HDHP coverage, it will ask you about health insurance lapses. This is due to rules that you could use to maximize your contributions in prior years, but to be eligible, you had to maintain coverage every month of this year. If she had no HSA or made no contributions to it, you can ignore this. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies