You'll enter the cost of the qualifying central air conditioner under How much did you pay for energy-saving improvements? as an Energy-Efficient Building Property. (Click the screenshots below for reference.)
To enter your energy-efficient property in TurboTax:
- Open (continue) your return in TurboTax Online. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in and click Take me to my return.)
- Click My Account (top right of your screen).
- Select Tools.
- In the pop-up window, select Topic Search.
- In the search bar, type 5695.
- In the results box, highlight 5695, residential energy credit, then click GO.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to complete this section. Be sure to click the Learn more links if you have any questions.
- After you enter the cost of your CAC and answer the corresponding questions, TurboTax will determine if you qualify for an energy credit.
Note: If using the TurboTax CD/Download software, you'll use the Find function (instead of "My Account") to search for the topic.
The Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit has a lifetime total combined limit of $500, so if you have claimed the credit in a prior year your 2016 deduction may be reduced. See IRS Instructions for Form 5695, Residential Energy Credits for more information.
Can I claim energy-saving home improvements? https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300639