taxpaul

TurboTax asks "Did <spouse> High Deductible Health Plan coverage lapse in 2017 due to disability?" Why would it ask me this since she was always covered by my HDHP plan?

Coleen3

The question on the page before you see that you had a “lapse” in coverage is causing the issue.

On the previous page you should see the question, “What type of High Deductible Health Plan did [spouse] have on December 1, 2016?”.  The choices are Family, Self only, or None. 

If you have been covered under your husband’s family plan, you might think you should answer Family to the question.  However, the answer should be None. 

It is referring to what type of plan you held in your name on December 1, 2016.  If you had your own separate HDHP on that date, then choose the type of plan that you had.  If instead you were covered under the plan in your husband’s name, then you should choose None.

Coleen3

mike-hartlieb

This is a case where the answer is correct, but the way the question is posed causes the problem. The question sahould be completely rewritten to avoid the confusion.

mbindfw

Agree wholeheartedly with @Mike.hartlieb.  

TurboTax, this is a very poorly worded question and has caused problems for us 2 years in a row. Please, please fix for the 2019 edition, as this is SO frustrating and time consuming to have to try to figure this out -- this makes the whole process very unfriendly.

Must add that the fact that TurboTax has not yet fixed this old stumbling block of a problem question, makes me have second thoughts about using TurboTax next year.
MojoMom777

agree - this issue takes so long to research when TT could easily re-phrase and explain the question. This plus some other issues on education credits that are also very unclear and unhelpful are making me look at other options for next year.
g220j155

I totally agree. I was confused, too.  Please reword.