Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jd95
Level 2

TT won't allow an adult dependent

My 22 year old daughter is a FT student who earned more than $5000 and lived at home [with me] for 6 months.  I provided more than half her support for 2019, but TT will not allow her to be a dependent. I do not understand what I am missing. Her income would be the only objection I see, but my understanding is being FT student waives the max income requirement.  Why won't TT allow her dependency?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It might be because you stated that she lived with you for six months. The tax code stipulates that she needs to live in your house more than six months. Go to MY INFO and change the residency information to see if that will make a difference.

Also if she files her own return claiming a refund for the $5000, make sure she indicates on her return that she can be claimed as a dependent of someone else.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It might be because you stated that she lived with you for six months. The tax code stipulates that she needs to live in your house more than six months. Go to MY INFO and change the residency information to see if that will make a difference.

Also if she files her own return claiming a refund for the $5000, make sure she indicates on her return that she can be claimed as a dependent of someone else.

jd95
Level 2

Thanks. this did the trick.

Another question hopefully you can help with.

I live WI, and it appears some of the values the state applies to deduction credits come from form 1040's schedule A - I had some charitable contributions in 2019 but did not itemize.  Because TT used the std deduction, it appears schedule A is not one of the completed forms that will be sent to WI when TT submits my state taxes.  Is this a problem?  Last year was the first time in years I used the std deduction, but I also did not use TT to file the state return.  I included schedule A myself when I filed my state taxes via their online tax website.  Will this be a problem for WI's return, or is there a way to get TT to complete and include schedule A if I do not itemize?

Thanks again.

Jeff  

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Enter all your itemized deductions in the federal interview and any applicable items will transfer to your WI return even if you choose "Standard" for your federal return.  Complete the WI state interview.  There is an "itemized deduction credit" interview that is part of the WI interview.  When  you complete that and if the credit applies the proper forms will be generated for WI. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies