Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vswonghk

I prepaid my assessed and billed first 2 quarters of 2018 property tax in 2017. Where do I input the prepaid 2018 tax in this year's tax filling?

Please offer specific instructions on where to input the prepaid 2018 property tax in Turbo Tax premier.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I prepaid my assessed and billed first 2 quarters of 2018 property tax in 2017. Where do I input the prepaid 2018 tax in this year's tax filling?

To enter, edit or delete Property Taxes -

• Click on Federal Taxes
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Under Your Home

If paid through your lender

• On Mortgage Interest, Refinancing, and Insurance, click on the start or update button

If paid directly

• On Property Taxes, click on the start or update button

Or enter property tax in the Search/Find box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to property tax

View solution in original post

6 Replies

To enter, edit or delete Property Taxes -

• Click on Federal Taxes
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Under Your Home

If paid through your lender

• On Mortgage Interest, Refinancing, and Insurance, click on the start or update button

If paid directly

• On Property Taxes, click on the start or update button

Or enter property tax in the Search/Find box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to property tax

vswonghk

Do you mean add it to my property tax paid in 2017 as one lump sum?

Did you have a payment of property taxes shown on the Form 1098 from the lender?  Then enter those taxes paid in the Mortgage Interest section.
The payment of 2018 taxes in 2017 would be in the Property Taxes section.
vswonghk

No. I paid the tax directly to my town. The input section in Turbo Tax only allow $$ by year.

You enter the property taxes paid in 2017 in the box shown for 2017, even though the taxes were for tax year 2018.

I did the same thing you did, got a 1098 from lender of what was paid out of escrow and then I wrote a check in late December for taxes assessed (that would have been paid our of escrow in 2018) and added the two together and listed them as one sum in the property taxes paid on the home.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies