turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

anowl73

Can I claim my new outside doors on form number 5695

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Those tax credits expired at the end of 2016 and are not available on a 2017 tax return.  They are part of a package of "tax extenders" that are stuck in Congress.

If the tax extenders pass and are made retroactive, they will be added back to the program.  In that case, an exterior door qualifies only if it meets or exceeds the specific requirements of the Energy Star program version 6.0.  The credit is 10% of the cost of the door, not including installation, and there is a lifetime limit of $300 for all credits for doors and windows claimed under the program since 2006.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Those tax credits expired at the end of 2016 and are not available on a 2017 tax return.  They are part of a package of "tax extenders" that are stuck in Congress.

If the tax extenders pass and are made retroactive, they will be added back to the program.  In that case, an exterior door qualifies only if it meets or exceeds the specific requirements of the Energy Star program version 6.0.  The credit is 10% of the cost of the door, not including installation, and there is a lifetime limit of $300 for all credits for doors and windows claimed under the program since 2006.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies