turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter the foreign tax credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Fern

• Select Federal Taxes
• Select Deductions and Credits
• Select Show More next to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
• Select Start or Revisit next to Foreign Taxes

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Fern

• Select Federal Taxes
• Select Deductions and Credits
• Select Show More next to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
• Select Start or Revisit next to Foreign Taxes
svarbhanu

this doesn't help me enough. where to I actually input how much $$$ I have been taxed by Canada. See when I report my foreign income my US refund drops to zilch. I know how to do a foreign tax credit, but its not clear where I input that number and its not being reflected by my est. tax refund returning to its normal number.

I'm having the same problem. The Foreign Tax Credit Computation Worksheet is not calculating correctly.
louis925

Same problem. I already enter my Foreign wage but the Foreign Taxes section keeps saying that it didn't find my foreign income Tax payment. I thought this is the place for me to enter it...

Same problem. Proceeded through many times but there is no place to enter the amount of taxes paid.

This "recommended answer" is not helpful in the least.  I'm using the desktop version of "Home and Business" and there is no tab labeled "Federal Taxes"  There is a section of PERSONAL called "Deductions and Credits" where we find a "Foreign Taxes" section which does not clearly provide a place to specify how much foreign tax was paid.   Additionally, I've got a large carryover (as one does as a dual US/Canadian citizen) and when I come out the other side of this step-by-step, the value for Foreign taxes paid remains as $0.   

That answer is from 2 years ago, and was correct at the time. The program labels have changed since then. There is currently an issue with Foreign taxes. TT is working on it.

Has this been fixed?  I also am unable to enter an amount of Foreign Taxes paid - I can only view a calculated foreign tax credit (which is less than what I paid).  This is extremely confusing when all I want to do is enter the dollar amount of foreign taxes paid.

TurboTax 1099-DIV is not allowing me to enter box 7 (Foreign Tax Paid) like it used to???

Has this been fixed?  I also am unable to enter an amount of Foreign Taxes paid
abhi-usha

As I have small credits from previous years it does not give me an option to enter tax paid overseas during 2018

Has this been fixed?  I also am unable to enter an amount of Foreign Taxes paid

Having the same problem.  Get this fixed, TurboTax.

@celestemarie1002
This is an old answered thread from 2 years ago.  It will NOT show up as needing help.  That's why there has been no response to the last 4-5 posters.   Please start your own new thread using the link below so it will show up where you can be questioned and assisted.  I'll close this old thread.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/new">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/new</a>

When you go to the form at the link, the first box is for a summary of your question, like a title, and is limited to 170 characters..  If you need more room, lower on the form you will come to another box with plenty of room to enter details.  This is a public Internet forum, so don't post any personal info.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies