turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ksgwhiz

Can my husband deduct expenses to care for his Mother in another state for the year 2017?

He traveled monthly to California from Geogia. Can he wite off traveling and miscellaneous expenses?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can my husband deduct expenses to care for his Mother in another state for the year 2017?

This is from TurboTax 2017:

You can deduct medical costs you pay directly to medical service providers for another person according to the following rules:

• If you pay medical expenses for someone you do not claim as a dependent on your income tax return, you can deduct those expenses if:

View solution in original post

3 Replies

This is from TurboTax 2017:

You can deduct medical costs you pay directly to medical service providers for another person according to the following rules:

• If you pay medical expenses for someone you do not claim as a dependent on your income tax return, you can deduct those expenses if:
MichaelDC

You can only deduct medical expenses for a non-dependent if the only reason they fail the dependency test is their gross income. Please be careful and don't misconstrue traveling to a parent as a qualified medical expense.
MichaelDC

Unfortunately, no. Unless there was a business or employee business reason for the travel, there is no tax deduction available for his travel.

Even, if his mother was a dependent, there's no deduction available, except the ability to claim the dependent exemption.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies