Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

krledvina

I paid for child care using a dependent care FSA. Can I still claim the child care credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I paid for child care using a dependent care FSA. Can I still claim the child care credit?

No.  You can only claim expenses out of pocket.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
punit75

I paid $4500 for one child for Day Care and had $3500.00 deducted for FSA from my Payroll, can I claim $1000.00 on form 2441?

No, because the $3500 from your FSA satisfied the maximum amount of $3,000 per child that can be used to claim the credit.
croce1945

how do I report the $500 as income on tax return?

You do not have to complete the 2441 since you will not be claiming child tax credit.

The Dependent Care FSA can be maxed out at $5,000 per year; therefore, @punit75 would not owe taxes on any of the $3,500 they contributed. The $3,000 limit applies only to the Child Care Credit. See the following Q&A: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3435214">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3435214</a>

dougieitch---you are correct.  No tax on the additional $500 should be levied.

No.  You can only claim expenses out of pocket.

This answer is correct. The purpose of FSA is to paid for childcare expenses.  It is a tax savings method.
bdgaryz

For me I am learning it is not tax savings.  for two kids I had 15,000 in daycare.  FSA was 5,000.  I dont understand why in Box 3 of Form 2441, the 5,000 is deducted from the max amount allowed to enter of 6,000.  It would seem more fare if box 3 was 15,000-FSA but no more than 6,000 so I still get a credit of 20%*6,000.  Instead, my box 3 is 6,000-FSA left with $120 credit.  I lost 1,000 of credit by using 5k for FSA, which payroll tax saved off 5k was not 1,000

Not only did you not pay payroll tax on the 5K but you also did not pay income taxes on that amount.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies