turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

yadirahdez
Returning Member

There was a change in the standard deduction line and I don’t know how to fix that

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies

There was a change in the standard deduction line and I don’t know how to fix that

1040 line 12?  What did it change from and to?  Have you filed yet?  Did you enter more Itemized Deductions?  Or are you a dependent?

For 2020 the standard deduction amounts are:

Single 12,400 + 1,650 for 65 and over or blind (14,050)

HOH 18,650 + 1,650 for 65 and over or blind

Joint 24,800 + 1,300 for each 65 and over or blind

Married filing Separate 12,400 + 1,300 for 65 and over or blind

See IRS Publication 501 Tables 6 & 7 Standard Deduction Chart for Most People on page 24

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

If it's giving you the Standard Deduction and  not showing you Schedule A you can check the actual amount of itemized deductions by using by going to

Tax Tools on left

Tools - Topic Search (top left box)

Type in  itemized deductions, choosing.  It should highlight that in the list, click on GO

Then Click on "Change my deduction". That will display the actual amount of itemized deductions vs. the standard deduction.    (Be sure to uncheck "Change my deduction" after checking it so you do not lock in the wrong deduction.

How to change between the Standard Deduction and Itemized Deductions

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-change-from-the-standard-deduction-to-item...

yadirahdez
Returning Member

On my 1040x paper form line 2 is 12,200 but the correct amount deducted to 10,063 but I don’t know how amend or fix that on to turbo tax and this is for 2019 I need to fix it so I cam have a record of it for my school 

Why are you amending?  Sound like you originally got the full amount for single of 12,200.   If you changed to say you were a dependent then the Standard Deduction can be less.

If you are claimed as a dependent on someone else's return......

The Standard Deduction for an individual for whom an exemption can be claimed on another person's tax return is limited to the greater of:

…..$1,100 or

…..Your earned income for the year + $350 (but not more than 12,200)

So you would get a minimum of $1,100

yadirahdez
Returning Member

Yes actually I was claimed as a dependent by my parents 

Is it clear now?  How much is on 1040 line 1?   Is it $9,713?

yadirahdez
Returning Member

Yes it is 

Then the amended return is right.  You get a lower Standard Deduction.

yadirahdez
Returning Member

Right but how do I fix that on turbo tax 

Fix what?  Are you using Turbo Tax to amend?  The amended return sounds right.  Your Standard Deduction should be 10,063.

The standard deduction amount for an individual who may be claimed as a dependent by another taxpayer cannot exceed the greater of $1,100 or the sum of $350 and the individual’s earned income (not to exceed the regular standard deduction amount).

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
yadirahdez
Returning Member

Right but I need records of that on my tax records because it doesn’t show the 1040x that was done. I thought maybe because parents amend it through their tax person and not through we’re I did my taxes which is turbo tax 

What?   If your tax return was amended by someone else the 1040X is not going to show up on TurboTax.      Get a copy from the tax preparer who amended the return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Whoa.  Did your parents amend their return?  Or used their tax person to amend yours?   If you are not using Turbo Tax to amend then you can do a fake amend in Turbo Tax to make it match.  Or just ignore it.  It won't affect next year.  And if you efile 2021 next year you will need the AGI from the original return not the amended one.

yadirahdez
Returning Member

They used their tax person to amend mines and I have a copy of the 1040x  the thing is that in the irs website when I requested my tax records of 2019 for school it doesn’t show records of the 1040x that was filed and the school needs the tax records to show that the change was made 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies