turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

There seems to be bug in mortgage interest deduction in Turbo Tax 2018 software for loan more than $750K but less than $1M closed prior to December 16, 2017

Hi,

We've $30K mortgage interest payment for about $900K mortgage in 2018. The loan was originated back in 2016. According to IRS rule: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p936.pdf

higher limitations ($1 million ($500,000 if married filing separately)) apply if you are deducting mortgage interest from indebtedness incurred before December 16, 2017.

Somehow Turbo tax puts $0 in mortgage interest deduction and suggest standard $24K deduction, even though the itemized deduction should be more than $40K.

This seems to be a Turbo Tax bug.

Urgent help is needed! Any suggestion?

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

There seems to be bug in mortgage interest deduction in Turbo Tax 2018 software for loan more than $750K but less than $1M closed prior to December 16, 2017

@fronstGiant wrote:

Somehow Turbo tax puts $0 in mortgage interest deduction and suggest standard $24K deduction, even though the itemized deduction should be more than $40K.

I just plugged in your numbers (and the dates) on one of my test returns and was able to get the entire $40k deduction (I already had entered $10k in property taxes).

I am using the desktop version of Home & Business if that makes a difference (which I have to doubt). Regardless, I suggest running through the screens again being careful to insert the correct dates, balances, and answer the questions in accordance with your scenario.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

@fronstGiant wrote:

I just plugged in your numbers (and the dates) on one of my test returns and was able to get the entire $40k deduction (I already had entered $10k in property taxes).

I am using the desktop version of Home & Business if that makes a difference (which I have to doubt). Regardless, I suggest running through the screens again being careful to insert the correct dates, balances, and answer the questions in accordance with your scenario.

sealtainn
Returning Member

I think there's quite a few limitations & bugs in the 2018 turbotax. I am using the same version as you, & Turbotax concluded "Good news! You can claim the $12k standard deduction" or words to that affect despite my having ~$15k in valid itemized deductions it to changed my mortgage interest to $0. I believe its because Turbotax can't handle my past refinances that cause my debt to be a mix of acquisition & equity debt. I'm no dummy, I can determine the percentage of acquisition debt to apply to my current load -- how come Turbotax can't?

Their questions/forms are quite obtuse. I'm having to file for extension for the first time ever after 32 years of filing returns. Looks like I'll be skipping Turbotax next year if it can't handle a scenario I suspect common for many. 

Can you please state the mortgages you had in 2018 and their dollar figure and when you took them out? (Remember , this board is anonymous)

It is possible TT is correct - the IRS form that calculates the limit does not consider in year payoffs or originations as partial year - it assumes you have the mortgage the entire year

Did you try working through the form on page 11 in the publication you quoted? THAT is the official way to determine your interest deduction
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies