turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I bought a new house in May 2016, how do I claim the amount I paid on the apartment I was living in before moving in? (In order to claim part of the property tax)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

I bought a new house in May 2016, how do I claim the amount I paid on the apartment I was living in before moving in? (In order to claim part of the property tax)

There is no deduction for renting an apartment before moving into your home.  Property taxes on an apartment you do not own are not deductible.

Any property taxes that were paid, including your prorated share of taxes for your period of ownership (shown on the settlement statement) and any out of pocket payments after purchase (or amounts for property taxes paid from escrow during your ownership period) can be deducted on itemize deductions.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

There is no deduction for renting an apartment before moving into your home.  Property taxes on an apartment you do not own are not deductible.

Any property taxes that were paid, including your prorated share of taxes for your period of ownership (shown on the settlement statement) and any out of pocket payments after purchase (or amounts for property taxes paid from escrow during your ownership period) can be deducted on itemize deductions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies