turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I put Medicare Part B premiums?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomK
Expert Alumni

There are two places you can enter the Medicare premiums in TurboTax.  

First, when you enter your SSA-1099 to report your social security benefits, you'll see entry boxes for the various Medicare types.  When you enter your premiums on this page, TurboTax will automatically carry them to the itemized deduction section for inclusion with Medical Expenses.

You can also enter your Medicare premiums directly on the Medical Expense screens for itemized deductions -- along with any other qualified medical expenses -- by clicking on Federal Taxes, then Deductions & Credits, then scroll down to Medical and click on Medical Expenses.  Follow the prompts and enter the premiums in the Medical Insurance Premiums box.

Use one entry area or the other, but not both.  Otherwise, they'll wind up duplicated.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
TomK
Expert Alumni

There are two places you can enter the Medicare premiums in TurboTax.  

First, when you enter your SSA-1099 to report your social security benefits, you'll see entry boxes for the various Medicare types.  When you enter your premiums on this page, TurboTax will automatically carry them to the itemized deduction section for inclusion with Medical Expenses.

You can also enter your Medicare premiums directly on the Medical Expense screens for itemized deductions -- along with any other qualified medical expenses -- by clicking on Federal Taxes, then Deductions & Credits, then scroll down to Medical and click on Medical Expenses.  Follow the prompts and enter the premiums in the Medical Insurance Premiums box.

Use one entry area or the other, but not both.  Otherwise, they'll wind up duplicated.

bogeyman62
Returning Member

I do not want to enter the refund amount on the SSA-1099 form since it will not match the 1099 form SSA sent me. I chose to enter the premium refund amount where you suggested in option two,  Schedule A, Medical and Dental Expenses, Line 2a. I entered the amount as a negative number. That reduced the Medicare Part B premium amount reported by the amount of my premium refund. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies