turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a US citizen and working for a Chinese private company in China, how can I pay my social security tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am a US citizen and working for a Chinese private company in China, how can I pay my social security tax?

There are no US Social Security taxes for you.

As an employee, Social Security and Medicare taxes are charged to the employer.  Because you were not performing the work in the United States, the employer is not subject to those rules.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Are you an employee?  Or are you an Independent Contractor?
Was any of the work performed in the United States?

Employee.

And no, all work performed in China.

There are no US Social Security taxes for you.

As an employee, Social Security and Medicare taxes are charged to the employer.  Because you were not performing the work in the United States, the employer is not subject to those rules.

Stryzbiak

I am applying for a job as USA sales manager for a Chinese electronics company, they currently have no one working here. How do I get paid from there and what are the issues?

Sid

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies