turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aajd99

I don’t understand the question that states if I paid more than half of my living expenses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
maglib
Level 11

I don’t understand the question that states if I paid more than half of my living expenses?

There are 2 possible more than half questions in TT.

1.One question is did you provide over half your support and does not define from what sources. This pertains to can you claim yourself as a dependent?  If you, in fact, provided over half your own support from any forms gifts, savings, scholarships, they you would not be a qualifying child of your parents and could claim your own exemption.

2. The other question is related to earned income providing over half your support and this is related to qualifying for the education tax credits.  If your 2017 earned income contributed to paying over half your own support. Often a student has to say no as their support was paid by other means. If your earned income didn't provide over half your support, you are only eligible for tax credits to the extent of your tax liability and not eligible for refundable tax credits.  

Worksheet for determining support: https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/teacher/worksheet_for_determining_support_4012.pdf

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
maglib
Level 11

There are 2 possible more than half questions in TT.

1.One question is did you provide over half your support and does not define from what sources. This pertains to can you claim yourself as a dependent?  If you, in fact, provided over half your own support from any forms gifts, savings, scholarships, they you would not be a qualifying child of your parents and could claim your own exemption.

2. The other question is related to earned income providing over half your support and this is related to qualifying for the education tax credits.  If your 2017 earned income contributed to paying over half your own support. Often a student has to say no as their support was paid by other means. If your earned income didn't provide over half your support, you are only eligible for tax credits to the extent of your tax liability and not eligible for refundable tax credits.  

Worksheet for determining support: https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/teacher/worksheet_for_determining_support_4012.pdf

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies