turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The USA and Chile have a double taxation treaty for both income tax and social security tax. How do I zero out self employment tax in turbotax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

The USA and Chile have a double taxation treaty for both income tax and social security tax. How do I zero out self employment tax in turbotax.

You can adjust out your self-employment income by going to Other Tax Situations, Business Taxes and Deductions, Self-employment tax.

Enter your Self-employment profit as a negative on this screen:

In accordance with the US Chilean Agreement you are citing Agreement Between the United States and Chile, you should print and mail in your tax return with a copy of your Certificate of Coverage with the Chilean system. 

The Agreement does not exempt you from payment into any system, only exemption from requirement to pay into both. 

If you voluntarily pay into the Chilean system you are exempt from paying US Social Security and are eligible to get a Certificate of Coverage to establish your exemption. 

If you are not voluntarily paying into the Chilean system you are not exempt from paying US Social Security. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Unfortunately, the reason TurboTax doesn't allow you to zero out self employment tax for Chile is because Chile and the US do not have a standing tax treaty where withholding tax can be reduced to avoid double taxation.  It was created in 2010 but still remains unsigned.

Here is a the list of tax treaties with the US.  Chile isn't on the list.

Not employee.  Self employed

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10175.pdf

The agreement exempts self-employed U.S. citizens who reside in Chile from U.S. Social Security coverage. As a result, if you are a self-employed U.S. citizen and reside in Chile, you do not have to pay U.S. Social Security taxes on your self-employment income.

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

You can adjust out your self-employment income by going to Other Tax Situations, Business Taxes and Deductions, Self-employment tax.

Enter your Self-employment profit as a negative on this screen:

In accordance with the US Chilean Agreement you are citing Agreement Between the United States and Chile, you should print and mail in your tax return with a copy of your Certificate of Coverage with the Chilean system. 

The Agreement does not exempt you from payment into any system, only exemption from requirement to pay into both. 

If you voluntarily pay into the Chilean system you are exempt from paying US Social Security and are eligible to get a Certificate of Coverage to establish your exemption. 

If you are not voluntarily paying into the Chilean system you are not exempt from paying US Social Security. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies