Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is it true that in 2018 taxes I would not be able to claim Child Tax Credit as my child does not have valid SSN though he has an ITIN?

We are resident for tax purposes based on the substantial presence test.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is it true that in 2018 taxes I would not be able to claim Child Tax Credit as my child does not have valid SSN though he has an ITIN?

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act:

Denies the Child Tax Credit (both refundable and non-refundable portions) to immigrant children without a Social Security Number (SSN). As with many of the individual tax provisions, this change expires on December 31, 2025

For these purposes, a SSN must be issued before the due date for the filing of the return for the taxable year.

However, children who would otherwise qualify for the CTC, except that they lack a SSN, ARE eligible for the new non-refundable $500 family tax credit.

https://www.nilc.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/ITIN-field-call-2.8.18.pdf

View solution in original post

4 Replies

If my child gets SSN after April 2019 but before Oct 2019 and I file by the extended deadline can I claim CTC for 2018? Also, what if he gets SSN before April 2019?
We are in the process of applying for permanent residence.
harumilk

following

If my child gets SSN after April 2019 but before Oct 2019 and I file by the extended deadline can I claim CTC for 2018? Also, what if he gets SSN before April 2019?
We are in the process of applying for permanent residence???

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act:

Denies the Child Tax Credit (both refundable and non-refundable portions) to immigrant children without a Social Security Number (SSN). As with many of the individual tax provisions, this change expires on December 31, 2025

For these purposes, a SSN must be issued before the due date for the filing of the return for the taxable year.

However, children who would otherwise qualify for the CTC, except that they lack a SSN, ARE eligible for the new non-refundable $500 family tax credit.

https://www.nilc.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/ITIN-field-call-2.8.18.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies