turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Meghan5k

I'm self-employed. My mileage is partially reimbursed by an agency. How can I use TT Home & Business to deduct the diff between my .47 cpm and the standard mileage rate?

I am self-employed, contracted through an agency that reimburses my mileage at .47 per mile.  How can I use turbotax home & business to deduct the difference between the standard mileage rate of 53.5 cents per mile and the amount I have been reimbursed?  That amount was not included on my 1099.  I have seen this question answered for employees, but not for how to enter this into turbotax home & business for self-employed users.  Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
CaronM
Intuit Alumni

I'm self-employed. My mileage is partially reimbursed by an agency. How can I use TT Home & Business to deduct the diff between my .47 cpm and the standard mileage rate?

Hey there. So you'd actually it the same way, but you'd choose to link the vehicle expenses to your Sch C instead of to Sch A like an employee does.

Meghan5k

Thanks for responding.  I know it will go on my schedule C, I just haven't been able to figure out how to answer the turbo tax questions to make that happen.  I am using home & business.  In the business vehicle expenses section I am prompted to enter "miles driven for business."  Would I put the full actual mileage number there (for which I was already reimbursed), and then put the reimbursement amount somewhere in business income?
BarbL
Employee Tax Expert

The simplest solution is to claim the reimbursement as income, then take the full 53.5 cents per mile deduction.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Meghan5k

Okay, thank you.  I just wanted to make sure that was a legit way to do it.  I appreciate your help!
BarbL
Employee Tax Expert

The end result is the same, so perfectly acceptable!
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies