turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The online version of turbotax is not adding my mortgage interest to my deductions total. It is on a mortgage secured by the property. Anyone with a solution?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

The online version of turbotax is not adding my mortgage interest to my deductions total. It is on a mortgage secured by the property. Anyone with a solution?

It depends.  If you have more than one Form 1098 due to refinancing, or a second mortgage loan review the information below for assistance.

Thank you for providing this information. We are aware of this experience. Please sign up for email notification when an update related to this issue is available here.

If you choose to move forward with your return and if you have a mortgage debt that is below $750,000, (or $1M for grandfathered debt incurred on or before December 15, 2017) this means all of the mortgage interest would be allowed to be used on your itemized deductions as long as there was no cash taken out that was not used on the home (all borrowed funds were used to buy, build or improve the home). 

If this is your situation then enter the mortgage debt for Form 1098 with the current lender, and then enter $1 or $0 for the second or former lender in that Form 1098. This will provide the correct amount of allowed mortgage interest deduction.

You may want to delete them first to begin again and also clearing your cache and cookies is a good ides (regularly).

Here's how to enter your mortgage interest statement in TurboTax:

1. With your return open, search for 1098 and select the Jump to link in the search results.
  2. Follow the instructions to enter your 1098 info.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you this worked.  Although you were correct I had to totally delete my original 1098s and re-enter them for TurboTax to calculate everything correctly.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies