turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bean214

What does "Payer name" mean in the 1099-SA section? I don't have a 1099-SA and the bank says one is not available so I'm trying to fill this out based only on receipts.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What does "Payer name" mean in the 1099-SA section? I don't have a 1099-SA and the bank says one is not available so I'm trying to fill this out based only on receipts.

The HSA custodian is indeed often a bank, but its information is highly unlikely to appear on your W-2 or anywhere else.

Do you have a debit card that was given to you by the custodian to pay for qualified medical expenses? If so, THAT is your HSA custodian (i.e., the Payer). Call that bank or institution and ask for the HSA department.

If that doesn't work, call the benefits person at your employer. Normally, he/she will know the name of the HSA custodian (since your company likely sends money to it).

P.S. it is likely that your 1099-SA is available online at the custodian's website. Do check.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

The payer name is your bank. You'll also need their TIN or id # which usually starts out with a 2 digit number a dash & then a 7 or so digit number. If you look on your other W2's you'll see that information.

The HSA custodian is indeed often a bank, but its information is highly unlikely to appear on your W-2 or anywhere else.

Do you have a debit card that was given to you by the custodian to pay for qualified medical expenses? If so, THAT is your HSA custodian (i.e., the Payer). Call that bank or institution and ask for the HSA department.

If that doesn't work, call the benefits person at your employer. Normally, he/she will know the name of the HSA custodian (since your company likely sends money to it).

P.S. it is likely that your 1099-SA is available online at the custodian's website. Do check.

bean214

Hi, thanks for the replies. We did check the custodian's website yesterday several times. And just as we were about to call the custodian bank this morning to request the 1099-SA, we happened to double check the website again (same exact place on the website), and it was posted. Strange, on Sunday, the website literally said "A 1099-SA is not available for this account" and then this morning it's there. Guess they got a lot of calls about it.  Thanks again for your help.

Hmmmn, well, I am glad you got it!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies