turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why cant i claim child care expenses

Your taxable income is $0 because your adjusted gross income of $xxxxxis less than your $xxxxxxx of total deductions and your $xxxxx of total exemptions combined.

It also explains below

Your effective tax rate is -5.98%. This percentage is based off your regular income tax (not including any self employment tax), minus certain credits, divided by your adjusted gross income.

Since your credits add up to more than your tax for the year, you have a negative effective tax rate.

Can someone explain this please? I have custody and the EIN numbers to claim the credit

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The childcare credit is not a refund.  It can reduce the amount of tax you owe.  Since you do not owe anything, the childcare credit does not benefit you.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The childcare credit is not a refund.  It can reduce the amount of tax you owe.  Since you do not owe anything, the childcare credit does not benefit you.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies