turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

basaer

Why I didn't get any Child Tax Credit? I didn't work for 2016 so I have no W2. Would I steal get Child Tax Credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

Why I didn't get any Child Tax Credit? I didn't work for 2016 so I have no W2. Would I steal get Child Tax Credit?

The child tax credit is not a refundable credit.  It can reduce your tax liability if you have one, but won't create a refund.  If you owe no tax, there is no benefit to the child tax credit.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

The child tax credit is not a refundable credit.  It can reduce your tax liability if you have one, but won't create a refund.  If you owe no tax, there is no benefit to the child tax credit.

The Child Tax Credit (CTC) was designed to help working families offset the cost of raising children  You did not work.

The Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC), a refundable credit,  requires you to have at least $3000 in earned income to qualify. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies