turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ams6137

Can you help me understand why I only got 1999 on my child tax credit when i claimed four kids

I should had gotten 1000 per kid instead of 1999 in all
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can you help me understand why I only got 1999 on my child tax credit when i claimed four kids

The Child Tax Credit, available only for a child 16 or under at the end of the tax year, is a non-refundable credit that can be used only to offset tax. You get only enough child tax credit to reduce your tax to zero, up to a maximum of $1,000 per child. Once your tax is reduced to zero, you do not get any more CTC.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

The Child Tax Credit, available only for a child 16 or under at the end of the tax year, is a non-refundable credit that can be used only to offset tax. You get only enough child tax credit to reduce your tax to zero, up to a maximum of $1,000 per child. Once your tax is reduced to zero, you do not get any more CTC.
ams6137

Okay you can get a child credit this year up to 4050 and I only got 1999 which means not enough. I don't see how your getting my calculation are  up to zero in which gives me not even half of my child tax credit. I want an answer as in explained how this is thanks.

The dependent exemption of $4,050 per child and the Child Tax Credit of a maximum of $1,000 per child are two completely different things and they are not related to each other in any way. The dependent exemption reduces your tax by reducing your taxable income, it is not an amount that you get back. The Child Tax Credit reduces your tax directly, but you get only enough child tax credit to reduce your tax to zero. Once your tax is zero you do  not get any more child tax credit. Neither the dependent exemption not the child tax credit is an amount that you get back all they do is reduce your tax.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies