turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is return airfare deductible on my Moving Expense if I used a family member to help transport household goods by car?

My move is for a job from GA to AK and it meets all tests. I drove one truck with an enclosed trailer and my brother drove 2nd truck with open trailer. 

Is the purchase of both trailers deductible? 

Is my brother's gas and lodging also deductible?

Is my brother's return flight back to GA deductible if he was used to help with delivering household goods?

I understand maintenance on vehicles are non deductible but what about when our vehicle broke down while midway in route and needed repair in order to get to our destination? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is return airfare deductible on my Moving Expense if I used a family member to help transport household goods by car?

Is the purchase of both trailers deductible?   Renting the trailers are ... buying them is not.

Is my brother's gas and lodging also deductible?  Yes it is.

Is my brother's return flight back to GA deductible if he was used to help with delivering household goods?   Yes it is.

I understand maintenance on vehicles are non deductible but what about when our vehicle broke down while midway in route and needed repair in order to get to our destination?  No it is not ... just use the standard mileage rate ... trying to use the actual expenses method for a move is impossible to compute & support in an audit.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Is the purchase of both trailers deductible?   Renting the trailers are ... buying them is not.

Is my brother's gas and lodging also deductible?  Yes it is.

Is my brother's return flight back to GA deductible if he was used to help with delivering household goods?   Yes it is.

I understand maintenance on vehicles are non deductible but what about when our vehicle broke down while midway in route and needed repair in order to get to our destination?  No it is not ... just use the standard mileage rate ... trying to use the actual expenses method for a move is impossible to compute & support in an audit.

@Critter#2  Are you sure about the brother's flight home? According to the IRS, you can only deduct expenses for one trip per person.  If you make multiple trips back and forth for the same move, you can only deduct one of those trips. Brother himself is not moving.

The brother was like a moving company...the cost was to return him home after the job.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies