turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

skogman2

My husband is possibly getting a large bonus this year, maybe beginning of next (so this may be for 2018 taxes) but what is the tax implication of receiving a sum of money all at once?

Should I expect to set aside a certain percent to pay for the extra taxes? I just don't know what percentage that would be.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My husband is possibly getting a large bonus this year, maybe beginning of next (so this may be for 2018 taxes) but what is the tax implication of receiving a sum of money all at once?

The tax implication of getting a bonus is pretty much exactly the same as getting a raise; your income taxes will go up based on your marginal income tax rate.  Your taxes may go up more than you expect for various reasons: you move into a higher tax bracket, (that's pretty easy to understand), or your higher income or results in some of the numerous phase-outs, phase-ins, surtaxes and other "gotcha's" that litter the US Income Tax Code, (e.g., the so-called Pease limit on itemized deductions).

Bonuses are simply "compensation" and about the only thing that makes a bonus different than a regular paycheck is that the withholding is typically calculated at a flat "supplemental rate" of 25%.  Most states tax bonuses in a similar fashion.  Without knowing your personal details I can't say if the supplemental rate will completely cover your additional tax liability or result in a refund or a large amount owed. 

Tom Young

View solution in original post

2 Replies

The 2018 Federal tax law is likely to change, so keep watching the news. And remember state and local taxes as well.

The tax implication of getting a bonus is pretty much exactly the same as getting a raise; your income taxes will go up based on your marginal income tax rate.  Your taxes may go up more than you expect for various reasons: you move into a higher tax bracket, (that's pretty easy to understand), or your higher income or results in some of the numerous phase-outs, phase-ins, surtaxes and other "gotcha's" that litter the US Income Tax Code, (e.g., the so-called Pease limit on itemized deductions).

Bonuses are simply "compensation" and about the only thing that makes a bonus different than a regular paycheck is that the withholding is typically calculated at a flat "supplemental rate" of 25%.  Most states tax bonuses in a similar fashion.  Without knowing your personal details I can't say if the supplemental rate will completely cover your additional tax liability or result in a refund or a large amount owed. 

Tom Young

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies