turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MickeyB
Returning Member

Im self employed but provide my services to the same company each day. Can I deduct my mileage from my home to the company?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Im self employed but provide my services to the same company each day. Can I deduct my mileage from my home to the company?

That depends on where your "tax home" is. See IRS publication 463 chapter 4 for more information.   Generally, your tax home is where you do most of your work, or, if you work in several other locations, your tax home is where you do your administrative, bookkeeping, and other work, such as calling clients and arranging jobs.  For example, a building contractor who works at many different job sites, may have their "tax home" at their home office.  

In your situation, it sounds like your tax home is probably the company where you work,  since you only work for one company,  which makes your daily driving a nondeductible commute.   But if you want to verify that, the rules for how to decide where your tax home is, are in IRS publication 463.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

That depends on where your "tax home" is. See IRS publication 463 chapter 4 for more information.   Generally, your tax home is where you do most of your work, or, if you work in several other locations, your tax home is where you do your administrative, bookkeeping, and other work, such as calling clients and arranging jobs.  For example, a building contractor who works at many different job sites, may have their "tax home" at their home office.  

In your situation, it sounds like your tax home is probably the company where you work,  since you only work for one company,  which makes your daily driving a nondeductible commute.   But if you want to verify that, the rules for how to decide where your tax home is, are in IRS publication 463.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies