turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ChuckD

I sold a second home in 2016. It was never my main home. I used the Home Sale Worksheet to enter my data. Is this the correct worksheet for second homes?

I sold a second home in 2016. It was never my main home. I used the Home Sale Worksheet to enter my data, but this worksheet seems to be oriented toward main homes, not second homes. In fact the transaction shows up in Form 8949 as a "Main Home Sale". Is there a different worksheet I should use for homes that are not Main Homes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

I sold a second home in 2016. It was never my main home. I used the Home Sale Worksheet to enter my data. Is this the correct worksheet for second homes?

No, that worksheet is for the sale of your main home, and the exclusion of gain on the sale is not available for a sale of a second home. 

We really don't recommend working directly in the forms in TurboTax. You should enter the sale in the Wages and Income section, under Investment Income, for Stocks,Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other

You'll say that you did sell investments, but you didn't receive a 1099-B.

On the next screen, Choose the type of investment, select second home, and continue to enter the second home sale information.

I've included screenshots to show you where to enter this.

The forms that will be created will be: 1099-B Worksheet, Capital Gains Worksheet and Schedule D.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

No, that worksheet is for the sale of your main home, and the exclusion of gain on the sale is not available for a sale of a second home. 

We really don't recommend working directly in the forms in TurboTax. You should enter the sale in the Wages and Income section, under Investment Income, for Stocks,Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other

You'll say that you did sell investments, but you didn't receive a 1099-B.

On the next screen, Choose the type of investment, select second home, and continue to enter the second home sale information.

I've included screenshots to show you where to enter this.

The forms that will be created will be: 1099-B Worksheet, Capital Gains Worksheet and Schedule D.

ChuckD

Thanks. I see the solution now. While it's true that I did not receive a 1099-B, I did receive a 1099-S.
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Yes, that is the form that's used to report real estate sales. Not exactly the same information as a 1099-B, but it is being reported to the IRS.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies