turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I prepare meals once a month for the American legion members. Its out of my pocket, i do not get reimbursed for my costs. Can deduct those expenses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

I prepare meals once a month for the American legion members. Its out of my pocket, i do not get reimbursed for my costs. Can deduct those expenses?

Yes, you can deduct those unreimbursed expenses as an itemized deduction on your tax return.

If you can itemize your deductions for 2019 then you can deduct your unreimbursed expenses on Schedule A Gifts to Charity Line 12

However, for most taxpayers, their standard itemized deduction is higher than their itemized deductions and they do not itemize.

The 2019 standard deductions are:  $12,200 if you are single or use married filing separate status   $24,400 if you file e a married joint-file and  $18,350 if you file as head of household.

[Edited 03/11/2020 | 1:39 pm PDT]

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you can deduct those unreimbursed expenses as an itemized deduction on your tax return.

If you can itemize your deductions for 2019 then you can deduct your unreimbursed expenses on Schedule A Gifts to Charity Line 12

However, for most taxpayers, their standard itemized deduction is higher than their itemized deductions and they do not itemize.

The 2019 standard deductions are:  $12,200 if you are single or use married filing separate status   $24,400 if you file e a married joint-file and  $18,350 if you file as head of household.

[Edited 03/11/2020 | 1:39 pm PDT]

Thanks for the quick answer, but the explanation was lacking a little information wise. I do itemize, and looking to reduce my payment a few more dollars
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

I have edited my answer and you may find the information useful.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. much appreciated
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies