turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bdotchin

In the turbo tax section on Foreign Tax Paid, turbo tax asks what is the Foreign source amount from my mutual fund 1099 Div. Where is this on my 1099 Div?

Foreign tax paid is on line 6 of my 1099 Div.  On the supplemental Information section of the 1099 Div is it the Total Ordinary Dividends that I use as Foreign Source Amount?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

In the turbo tax section on Foreign Tax Paid, turbo tax asks what is the Foreign source amount from my mutual fund 1099 Div. Where is this on my 1099 Div?

New for 2017 is the following flaw: If there is an entry in 1099-DIV box 6, TT will immediately and incorrectly require an entry in box 6d and will mark it as an error until an amount is entered.  Box 6d is “the foreign source amount included in dividends.”  If F1116 is filled out, there is a screen to input that amount which TT will insert into box 6d and thus clear the error.  If F1116 is not filled out because the user elects to use the exemption or the deduction, then bring up the 1099-DIV worksheet and type a zero into box 6d to remove the error.

View solution in original post

13 Replies

New for 2017 is the following flaw: If there is an entry in 1099-DIV box 6, TT will immediately and incorrectly require an entry in box 6d and will mark it as an error until an amount is entered.  Box 6d is “the foreign source amount included in dividends.”  If F1116 is filled out, there is a screen to input that amount which TT will insert into box 6d and thus clear the error.  If F1116 is not filled out because the user elects to use the exemption or the deduction, then bring up the 1099-DIV worksheet and type a zero into box 6d to remove the error.

orlofski

How did you know about this error or flaw?

From numerous postings regarding an issue that should not have occurred..
orlofski

Ok, great.  Thank you!  This helped me a lot.... I was stumped.  I also spoke with someone at TT and she also said to put in a zero as a work around.  Have a great night. 🙂

Thanks for the post, I've encountered this flaw as well.
herrjer

I have a similar problem...but...I'm trying to take a $119 credit, and it's requiring me to fill out form 1116, which I think is wrong.  The problem is, it won't let me continue without filling out form 1116, and there's no where on my 1099-DIV that says how much of the Mutual Funds' income comes from foreign sources.  So I feel like I'm stuck...either I don't take the credit, or I try to contact the investment company to figure out the answer for a form 1116 that I don't think I need to complete in the first place.  Help!
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

When you enter your 1099-DIV in Wages and Income, All income, Interest and Dividends, Click start next to Dividends, Let's get the details from your 1099-DIV or brokerage statement, after entering dividends, check the box "My form has info in more than just these boxes" Enter any foreign tax paid.
herrjer

Thanks, Karen, but I've already done that.  I entered the $119.11 from my 1099-DIV.  But now TT is forcing me to fill out a Form 1116, for which I have no further information.

TT should by default have given you the credit, but sometimes it hangs up. Here is the fix.

Make sure F1116 is deleted.
Go to the foreign tax credit interview and when you
start, here are the screen headers and the responses.
1. Foreign tax credit
         Continue
2. Tell us about your foreign taxes.
               Skip the foreign tax credit.
3.  Foreign Taxes
             Continue
TT will exit the interview and the credit should appear on line 48 of the 1040.

You still will have to enter the zero to avoid the error.
herrjer

When I follow this process, I have 2 problems.  (1) It won't let me delete form 1116.  Every time I delete it, it comes back immediately with (Copy 1) after it.  (2) I followed your instructions above, exactly, and there was still a 0 on line 48 of the 1040.  I can't enter the number manually either...it forces me to do form 1116.  No credit applied, and during the tax credit interview screen, I can see that the amount of my refund is affected.  I don't understand why it's forcing the form 1116 when I don't have the information, nor do I need it according to the instructions (ie. my credit is not over $600).  This is really frustrating and seems like it will end up costing me $119 with no other solutions.  That's enough to cover the cost of TT!

Do you have the on-line or desktop version?
herrjer

I have the desktop version, and I finally gave up and got the information from my investment company.  I want all the way to deleting all 1099, deleting the 1116, and starting that entire process over.  It still forced me to file the 1116 if I wanted the $119 credit.  It was very frustrating, but I'll get my credit.

This is a nightmare. Year after year I struggle with this problem. A mutual fund reports a foreign tax credit amount in Box 7 of the 1099-DIV. You enter the information on the 1099-DIV without difficulty and think you are good to go. During "Smart Check" you get an error such as "Schedule B -- Form 1099-DIV (DWS International Growth-S): Foreign source amount must be entered." The mutual fund company doesn't report a foreign source amount. What do you do?

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies