turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My clothing allowance was put in with my pay check. Are my clothes that was purchased for work tax deductable?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

My clothing allowance was put in with my pay check. Are my clothes that was purchased for work tax deductable?

Are you military? If so, while that clothing allowance was added to your paycheck, you were not taxed on it. Therefore you can't deduct it.

No, I work for my City and have to buy uniforms. They give me $600.00 a year for clothing allowance. This is put in my pay check with my hourly rate pay. It is not put in separate.
Carl
Level 15

Thanks for the additional info. If this $600 is listed on your W-2 in box 12 with code L, then while it is included in box 1, it has already been excluded from taxable income and can't be claimed/reported anywhere else on your tax return.
Otherwise, you will report your employment expenses under the Deductions & Credits tab in the Job Related Expenses section when you get to it. Note that these would be expenses required for employment, or continued employment.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies